Thursday, April 12, 2018

Death Mask

James asked me to go back into radiation oncology with him today so that I could take a photo of him in his "death mask". Yikes no wonder he needs an ativan before coming in for treatment. I'd need a couple and a shot of something on the side. What a guy! They said we can take the mask home with us when treatment is done. I'm thinking some kind of art installation or multimedia piece for the living room...

We went from radiation treatment to infusion for a couple bags of i.v. fluids. They'd completely forgotten about us with the first chemo treatment so I think they're over doing it playing catch up after the second with fluids 2x a week. It becomes a full day event arriving at 10 a.m. for rad onc then leaving infusion around 2. James is sitting watching The Chew, they're all eating some kind of delicious fruit tart cake thing. So interesting to me that this is the show he's chosen to watch when food actually isn't all that appealing to him. Once again I forgot to bring snacks so once again I visited the hospital cafeteria to scavenge. I found some cheese and grapes, carrots and celery for James that he's been nibbling and I had a bowl of hospital grade Pho, honestly not the worst thing I've eaten. James tried a tiny bit and made his face :^) sometimes I think I offer him bites of what I'm eating to just see the face when it doesn't taste good.

One more rad treatment this week then we have the weekend off. Hurrah! Then two more weeks of radiation and 1 more chemo treatment (again, so nice of them to add that on...) James has been maintaining his weight thanks to Ensure (should buy stock in that company) and weight gain protein powder smoothies. I think he's getting a little sick of the chocolate but the others just didn't taste as good. We bought a couple melons which he'd cut up and I think I'll keep containers of cut veg in the fridge too.

We saw the surgeon yesterday. I hadn't cleaned to stoma in the AM (oops) so things were a little (very) crusty and gooey. Sorry Dr. V!!! James and Dr. V just rolled with it, I was slightly horrified. Good for the young resident doing rounds with him to see it for what it is I guess :^) little reality check, are you sure you want to be an ENT?

I'd like to thank again everyone who'd sent gift cards for gas, grocery, amazon, etc. Timing has always been perfect to meet a need or two or five. You are all the best and we love you very much. We are doing well. He is doing well. The kids are around on/off to help and luckily my current self employment can flow around the med appointments. Life is good. James leaves you with a big thumbs up as they were rushing me out of the treatment room. Will try to update again soon! xxoo Beth and James

2 comments:

susan b. smooth said...

Wow that mask is something else! Scary for sure and James gets a million points of credit for hanging tough. Love you guys! XO

Beth Mellor said...

Scary for sure and a tight fit. I noticed waffle skin on his chin when we left the other day. It'll be so nice to be done with this phase of treatment! xxoo