Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Ongoing health ins saga...

I was told at the end of the MA Health Connector call Friday to check 24-48 hours with the case # supplied to see that James health ins was reinstated. I called Monday and was told the case # did nothing for them as there are many different call centers, that they had no record of the Friday conversation, that they did not know why ins had been cancelled and wanted to try to reset the application which is exactly what the Friday person told me they were doing. I was on the phone with this new person for close to an hour before I finally disconnected saying I had no faith that if I went through the entire process again that anything would be different. When asked this call center person would not give me her name (I'd missed it when she said at the beginning of the call) and also would not transfer me to a supervisor. I feel badly in a way for these call center people as they're probably making minimum wage and dealing with stressed irate people but really? What the heck.

I made the decision to disconnect from call center to go to a local office and speak to someone in person. I needed to look someone in the eye and put a name to a face.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the local MA Health Connector office. I put an hours worth of coin in the meter. I waited 1-1/2 hours to be seen then spent close to 2 hours with a young guy named Angel who looked into every aspect of our situation. He called two supervisors one of whom was off. No one knows why James' insurance was cancelled. Angel is going to continue working on my case and is going to call me with an update today. I've told Angel that James has a terminal cancer diagnosis, we're unable to fill his prescriptions in a timely fashion because they now have to go through the "safety net" for prior authorization, I've told Angel the only current treatment hope is the immunotherapy which appears to be working and the next infusion is Thursday this week. I have not told Angel that the VA is inline to cover the oncology costs as the VA has been stressing to me that they are not an insurance and they should not be the reason that the insurance was cancelled. Will update once I hear back from Angel. What a nightmare.

Surprisingly I did not have a ticket at hugely expired meter.

No comments: