Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Post-Appointment Update

Just back from meeting with the Medical Oncologist. They've officially labelled me Stage II (T2N1). I start chemo on Nov 28th, every 2 weeks for 16 weeks. First 8 weeks is a mix of 2 chemo drugs, Adriamycin + Cytoxan. Second 8 weeks is Taxol alone. They give me an injection every day after chemo treatment of Neulasta to keep my blood count up. After chemo is complete I move on to Radiation and Hormone Therapy. I have 4 prescriptions for antinausia (sp?) and antianxiety meds and 1 prescription for a wig. Don't know if I'll want it or will wear it but may get it just the same. I do know if I'm going to be hairless December through March I'm going to need some snuggly warm hats. Dan & Sue & Mom, break out those knitting needles and find some oh-so-soft yarns for my naked little head.

During the appointment I asked appropriate questions (thanks for the book MK!) and feel very comfortable with the clinic and the oncologist as does James. I've spoken to quite a few women now who have had the same med onc that I've been given (too many women if you ask me.) She's assistant director of the breast clinic and seems to be a calm, confident person. I asked her opinion on a second opinion saying that it was recommended to me that I request one. She said always happy when people request this. She also noted that in my case, lowest level stage II, the treatment is fairly straight forward. She said she's seen plenty of 2nd opinions from Dana Farber so can tell in advance how they might be consistant or differ. I'll sleep on it but knowing the number of women who have breast cancer currently or had so in the past who have used the same clinic and same doc I feel comfortable moving forward (yet again).

Looks like Thanksgiving may be my last hurrah... Bring on the Turkey. Beth

No comments: