Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Today James and I go for the first official appointment with the medical oncologist. I'm hoping to have her help us navigate the most recent path report seen in post below and will be sharing with her my various pains and woes from surgery. I'm hoping that the longer surgery recovery won't interfere with the next steps of cancer treatment (chemo, hormone therapy, radiation, etc.)

I spoke to the thoracic surgeon's office yesterday. They took a look at the chest x-ray from Tues and said that all looks good. I mentioned the muscle pain/spasms and difficulty breathing because of this. They said, well yes, this can happen. We did after all have to go through the muscles and the ribs may have spread a bit. So, I'm to continue on with the breathing exercises and hopefully it'll all go away. This is where the percocet helps.

I tried yesterday, during the day, to stop taking percocet and use only advil. I uncomfortable and so became more tired. Today I'm going to try to split the percocet during the day using a half tab rather than cold turkey of yesterday. It may be a little easier to wean myself off this way. I'll still take a full tablet at night as sleeping is quite uncomfortable/painful at times. I just don't want to be dependent on the pain meds so will keep playing with the dosage and we'll see how it goes....

Mom and I went to Walmart yesterday. I needed a few things and could have called on one of the many people who have offered to help. But, it felt good to get out. I had my list, the trip was very quick and precise. Still exhausting... I'm looking forward to the day when I can hop in the car, do errands, or just do chores around the house without getting so damn tired. I think if I'd have been taking the pain meds it might have been a little easier.

My dear cousin-in-law, Mary Kay, overnighted me a book for the onc appointment yesterday. It has great information and presents good questions at the end of each section. I sped-read it last night and will be re-reading sections this AM. Feel like I'm back in school crunching for an exam although this one is a bit more important.

Last night, when back on pain meds, I drove Sander to his lego robotics meeting. Very close by, quick drive, used James truck as it's an automatic (and was parking my car in.) And it went quite well. The half dosage of percocet (I could be taking 2 tabs) keeps me comfortable without foggin my brain too much. I don't think I was a hazard on the roads... I think Sander enjoyed his Mom giving him the ride. So life continues on in baby steps.

I'll try and update again this afternoon/evening after the medical onc appointment. xoxox Beth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sooooooooo looking forward to each new entry!!! We are glad all is going so well and will continue to pray and keep you in our daily thoughts.
Love you all and miss you!!
Danny Sherman

Beth Mellor said...

Hi Cousin Danny, Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. I'll keep the updates coming. Love to all the kids, cousins, you, and Aunt Milly. xox Beth