Friday, January 18, 2008

Wig or No Wig

Last Friday I declared it "Wig Day" and wore my wig to work. It was actually fun. My new best friend at work, Bob (hi Bob) said I looked like a cross between Katie Holmes and Angelina Jolie. Can't be all that bad. So today will be the second official "Wear Your Wig to Work Day". I was planning on wearing it tonight as well when we take the girl scout troop to the movies. It is easy to blend into a crowd when you have simulated hair.

Yesterday I was extremely beat. I've been noticing a tight feeling in my chest and dull pain with extremely deep breathing over the past few days. I've also noticed that I feel the portacath more when I'm sleeping at night. Moving around, rolling over, feels like it's shifted. All this with the fact that they had issues accessing it last week were sitting heavily on my brain. I emailed my primary care physician, she called me back, and after chatting for a bit we decided to run some tests to make sure I didn't have any blood clot issues. She managed to get me an urgent care appointment and paperwork for a chest x-ray and blood test which if positive shows possibility of clots so more tests would be needed. The blood test came back negative (phew) and the chest x-ray showed no difference than previous. No shift in portacath placement and lungs look good. They can see scarring and light fluid in base of left lung but consistent with previous. The doctor suggested that it can be continuing pressure/pain related to healing muscle, bone, etc from chest tubes and thoradectomy.

I came home thankful that it was nothing. I told James that I feel like I'm becoming a hypochondriac. With every little ache, pain, and twinge I'm thinking fluid in lungs, internal bleeding, and now blood clots. Not so much the cancer surprisingly. James' opinion is that the medical system has made me a hypochondriac. I wasn't like this before. So thanks again to the surgeon for adding this new dimension to my life (ha, ha) and honestly thanks to my primary care for listening and taking my concerns so seriously.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Friday, January 25 IS Wear Your Wig to Work Day. This holiday encourages people to interpret the day in a way that is meaningful to them. We hope you will participate. Best wishes, Mano/Damno www.manodamno.com

Beth Mellor said...

Perfect timing Gabrielle that the official day is a Friday, one of my official days. Thanks and I will wear my wig today! Beth