Thursday, December 27, 2007

2 Down 6 to Go

Just back from chemo session #2. This one went well but a bit slow. We arrived at 9 AM, port accessed, blood taken, saw Dr. and discussed problems with previous weekend post chemo #1 and insomnia of last week. She gave me new scripts for sleep aid and third anti-nausea meds so I'm crossing fingers that my weekend will be better this time. We were in the chemo cubby by 10 AM and didn't start treatment until just after Noon due to a glitch mixing my cocktail at the Pharmacy (so said by the nurse.) I was planning on going in to work and hitching a ride home with Andy but when we didn't leave the hospital until close to 1:30 PM it just didn't make sense. Tomorrow I'm planning on driving myself in to work in the AM and to my Neulasta shot at 1 PM. I'm crossing fingers that I'll be able to have an almost normal work week next week.

Christmas was nice but hectic and exhausting. My energy level is just so damn low. The kids did more around the house and James kicked it up a notch. We had the Mellor family over for Christmas Eve and went to my Mom's for Christmas Day then a quick visit at a Mellor house on the way home. I thought I would sleep like a rock that night but no. Yesterday (Dec 26th) my sister Lisa and niece Kira arrived on a red eye from Seattle. Kira didn't seem affected and Lisa held it together. I took a long nap.

Last night the kids, James and I had a hair removal party. Sander cut James' hair first with scissors, mullet, monk's ring, then I buzzed it off. Phoebe cut my hair, short Cleopatra bangs, short all over, then James buzzed it off. We have photos. I'll post something soon either here or on Beeboo. James actually thinks I look good buzzed. And I have to admit if feels pretty good and nice not to have to deal with all that thick hair. I tried on all the hats from Christmas which seem HUGE and am happiest right now in a little cashmere skull cap that Mom had bought me or nothing at all. At the hospital I was hatless and quite comfortable. At work as long as I'm warm I think I'll do the same. The wig may be set aside for now. At night I flipped back and forth between nothing and the hat, hot... then cold... then hot again. Without the hat my hair stuck to the pillow case like velcro. But, soon that won't be an issue as eventually we'll need to shave.

Quick note about the Reiki. It was really quite nice. Mom's massage therapist is wonderful, very calm and kind. She spent well over an hour with me and by the end I was feeling very soothed and relaxed. Within an hour of getting back to my house I was tense and achy again. I think I need to live on the heated massage/Reiki table for the next 4 months and all will be well.

Thanks for your patience in watching for this update and sorry for the delay. Life got in the way. Hope your Christmas was happy too! Beth

No comments: