Thursday, December 13, 2007

Chemo #1 down, 7 to go...

Back from 1st chemo treatment. All went well. James kept me company. He gets the heebie-jeebie's in doctors offices and hospitals but I think I'm breaking him of this phobia. We all knew there had to be a greater purpose to my diagnosis, treatment, surgery, complications, etc. This must be it. By Summertime James will be completely comfortable in any medical situation.

I met with the onc NP and didn't have many questions as I'm so read up on things. Blood work all looked good. I took the first of the 3 day Emend tabs, was given IV anti-nausea meds, and have others to take as needed as well as with day 2 and 3 Emend's. Still amazing to me that one prescription totalling 3 pills cost over $300. $100 per pill seems pretty pricing but the onc nurse was saying that it's all worth it. She said since Emend came on the market they really don't have issue with nausea being such a huge side effect.

They injected the first drug through IV in the portacath, two huge doses of red liquid. I get to pee red and orange for the next day or so (may be too much info for some, sorry.) The second drug was a slow drip over half an hour by IV. This one gave me sinus pressure which the onc nurse said happens with 50% of patients. I've decided this is the one and only side effect I'll have during chemo treatment.

We stopped by the pharmacy on the way home and picked up the other 2 Emend tabs, some special toothpaste, mouth rinse, and soft toothbrushes as mouth issues are another side effect of chemo. After pharmacy we drove home. Kids had an early day off from school with snow starting midday. I made up a double batch of Lipton Extra Noodle Soup for lunch and split it between the 3 of us (James wasn't interested.) I was hungry and ate it quickly. It seems to be sitting well. What I really want is a steak... ah well, we'll see how the belly reacts to broth first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth, glad to hear you're up and about. Brother Carl loves doctors as much as James does, must run in the family... LOL!!
If you need anything, just call, we are here when you need us.

If you need hair for a custom wig, let me know, I've got extra, and it's yours if you need it.
Barbi

Beth Mellor said...

Hi Barbi, Thanks for the offer of your beautiful hair. I've decided to stay low key and synthetic. I'm hoping to stay hatted or in-the-raw rather than wigged for the most part so didn't feel like I needed a custom human hair wig. But, you're offer means the world! Love to you and Carl, see you at Christmas. Beth