Thursday, December 13, 2007

Tis the Season

I had a good appointment with the thoracic surgeon yesterday (sister Sue came along for company.) He's happy with my progress, happy with the chest x-rays, and doesn't expect to see me again. I did ask for one refill of the 4 hr oxy's just in case I can't wean myself off by the time the first set (5 pills left...) are gone. I'm taking the last of the 12 hr tabs at night then will switch to 4 hrs at night. Will only take during the day as needed. And, am going to test out a schedule of ibuprophin & tylenol that the NP is recommending. Both thoracic surgeon and NP would like to see me get off the narcotics as quickly as possible. I was happy to hear from the med onc that they don't conflict with the chemo treatment so if I need to use them for a bit I can.

Did some Christmas shopping with Sue, to work for a bit, then met sister Linda for a bit more shopping. Linda and Sue did a quick exchange with me and Linda drove me home with one "quick" errand on the way.

James had dropped off the prescriptions that I needed filled for the first chemo treatment (9 AM this AM!) yesterday morning at the pharmacy. They were supposed to be ready yesterday afternoon by 2 PM. I went to pick them up early last night and at first they weren't ready then one was missing. It was the anti-nausea med. I told them I absolutely had to have that one. I can't even imagine the pain of throwing up with my chest and ribs still hurting. Nausea I can deal with. They had a hold on it until the med onc who'd prescribed it contacted my health ins company. And they couldn't reach either. Ugh. I was ready to pay for the pills out of pocket but they said it was over $300 and weren't ready to charge me. When they couldn't resolve by phone and I was standing at the counted saying I need this for 1st chemo at 9 AM tomorrow (today) the pharmacist made the decision to give me the first pill in series and told me have the med onc call today and we'd resolve the issue then I'll swing by after chemo to pick up rest of pills. I believe he said it's a set of 3 pills and they gave me the $100 day 1 without taking any payment. Tis the season for acts of kindness even if you're a pharmacist working for a large corporation! I'll pay it forward.

Today chemo and if I'm feeling up to it I'll post and let you know how it goes. Tomorrow I have an appointment at a wig shop. James and the kids want red or blond. I told them I might live dangerously and get brown with gray highlights... short either way I think. I'd like to keep it simple and light weight. I'm hoping my pals Loan and Themia might be able to come and assist. Who knows what I'd pick on my own! See you in a bit. Beth

No comments: